A focus on leadership
At Harris Clapham Sixth Form, identifying, nurturing and developing students’ leadership skills will be a core aspect of our work. Leadership will flow through everything we do, for example:
- teachers giving students’ opportunities to be independent and self-reliant, including how we use ‘prep’ to help students be prepared for their sessions
- it is integrated into our values of Courage, Commitment and Confidence
- built into our cultural perspectives, sport and enrichment.
We will have a dynamic and meaningful student leadership body. Led by the two Senior Prefects, this group will be a voice for inclusion and change. There will also be a range of wider leadership roles across the academy where any student can put themselves forward. Again, these roles will be meaningful and a genuine part of the running of the academy.
The above is not enough. In our Sixth Form we will go above and beyond in our endeavours for students to become leaders. We will be planning to introduce:
- Sports Leaders qualifications whereby students will train and then be involved in delivering sport sessions to other sixth formers
- Leadership Skills Programme in English, mathematics and science whereby students can train to enable them to tutor/support younger students at Harris Clapham
- Duke of Edinburgh scheme
- Young Enterprise company programme
- Woman in Leadership – we will be looking to developing partnerships with business, industry and higher/further education to inspire our young women
- Social action groups where students can take on projects to make a difference to their local communities, inside and outside the academy.
All our initiatives around leadership will help students to find themselves, their voice and to learn how to work with other people. We want our students to believe and go on to be the future leaders of business, charities, Secretary of States and/or the Prime Minister. Be the best!